Thundercats Are Go!  

Saturday, March 7, 2009


So Riss is 1 thyroid short of a full deck but is home and recovering beautifully. The surgeon called me on Thursday with the final path report, everything was confined to the thyroid, which is laymans terms means that Riss should lead a long happy life with the aid of some Synthroid. I am quitew pleased with how her recovery has gone. She slept the past 3 days but now is up and about finishing up school work she has missed. The incision line looks to be very small although I cannot see it because of the dressing which will not be removed until Monday. She had a drain that was removed the day after surgery and that area has healed remarkably well. There is something to be said for your head and neck surgeon also being a board certified plastic surgeon.
I want to take this opportunity to thank all those who had kind words, prayed for Riss and our family, and those who sent flowers. You made a very difficult time a very tolerable one for a scared 15 year old and her family. Special thanks also to the girls on my MILF board. Although I have had to fight with Riss that she is not well enough to go to the mall yet, the 200.00 gift card definitely made her day. I am amazed every day by the generosity and caring of you ladies. Also thank you to Aunt Lori and Grandma Carole who kept me company during Riss's 5 hour surgery and Kate for helping to keep Riss laughing. My world is definitely a better place with all these people in it.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


7 comments: to “ Thundercats Are Go!

  • Aunt Becky
    March 7, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

    been thinking of you guys a lot. So glad that things went really well. I've been so worried.

  • Dancer
    March 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM  

    Hope all is continuing to improve each day! Thinking of you!

  • Mommy (You can call me OM)
    April 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

    Thank you for your comments on my blog. I'm not sure how similar my case is to your daughter's and I have a lot of 'other stuff' going on, so I don't know how helpful my experience will be. But, I thought you might like this link: http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/220c3e.htm. Ian Hay, M.D., is my friend's doctor. He presented the findings on radioiodine. It helps me in that I feel that if it's ineffective anyway, I won't be putting my reproductive life on hold.
    Let me know how your daughter is doing. Has she returned for any blood tests yet? I'm curious about how accurately they get the dosage for hormone replacement the first time.
    Peace.

  • Nissa
    July 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

    OM,
    I am so sorry that I am just now seeing your comment. Riss is doing better but still feels "off". The 1st TSH after her thyroidectomy was 10.9. He upped her from her 50 mcg of Synthroid she was taking post op to 75mcg. I drew her blood 2 weeks ago and the result was TSH 4.5. So he upped her again to 75mcg. So we draw again in approx 3 more weeks. It has been a slow process and some days I can hardly get her out of bed. I hope this is not too personal but I was wandering if you think your thyroid affected your fertility? I am just thinking long term for her. I don't have problems getting pregnant just staying pregnant but I wonder if this will lead to fertility problems in the future for her. Thanks so much for taking time to write me back especially when you are going through so much and have gone through so much.

  • Nissa
    July 14, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

    Oops I meant to say she was upped to 100 mcg. Are you taking Synthroid?

  • Dirty Disher
    July 30, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

    Oh my, I didn't even know about this. I'm so glad she's feeling better.

  • Nissa
    July 31, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

    Thanks DD. It was a huge shock to us as she was my "healthy child". She went in for a routine sports physical and we left heads spinning. Thankfully she is doing better now. She still doesn't feel like herself but she is slowly getting there.